Should you require medical attention after the abortion, you will receive the highest quality care with the utmost sensitivity. Our physicians are board certified OB/GYN surgeons with privileges at all local hospitals. The same highly skilled physicians providing your abortion are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are the only clinic in Austin whose physicians monitor your after abortion care as part of our mission to make you feel respected and safe.
Post-Abortion Care Instructions
We stress the importance of your follow up pregnancy test because we want to ensure you have had the best medical care available. You can return at your convenience after 6 weeks for a urine pregnancy test or take a test at home. Should you have any questions, we encourage you to call our office during business hours to speak with a nurse. Follow these instructions very carefully:
- Call us if you have a temperature that is higher than 100.4. Please verify your pharmacy is open in case the doctor needs to call in a prescription for you.
- Avoid strenuous exercise such as jogging, aerobics and other cardiovascular workouts for 2 weeks.
- Avoid placing anything inside your vagina for 2 weeks. Anything placed inside your vagina could increase your risk of infection. Do not use tampons, bathe in a tub, swim, douche, or have sexual intercourse. It is possible to become pregnant again immediately following your procedure.
- Monitor your bleeding (or spotting) which may occur for up to 6 weeks or you may have no bleeding at all. You may have brownish-yellow discharge or none at all. If you do not have a normal period within 6 weeks following the abortion, contact us to schedule an appointment. Call if you have heavy bleeding (saturating 2 full size pads in one hour). Please give us the most accurate amount of your bleeding or clots by counting the number of full size pads you have fully soaked or the size and number of any clots in the last 2 hours.
- Increased cramping may occur 3-6 days after the procedure. We will prescribe pain medication to ease your cramping. You may also take 800 mg of Ibuprofen in addition to the prescription pain medication you receive. DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN OR ACETOMINAPHEN (TYLENOL). Call if you experience very severe cramping persisting more than an hour after taking the pain medication.
- Remember to take a home pregnancy test 6 weeks after your abortion. You also have the option to take a test at the office.
During business hours, regardless of whether it is an urgent or routine call, please call us at (512) 443-2888 or 1-800-252-7016. If you have an emergency after hours, please call the Medical Exchange at 512-735-3840.
Emotional and Spiritual Support
Because we recognize the importance of caring for both your physical and emotional well-being, we also offer after abortion care and counseling. You will have the opportunity to speak with a counselor immediately following your abortion. We encourage patients to call us if they want to speak to someone in a supportive and comfortable environment.
The most reliable indicator of whether you will experience feelings of distress after an abortion is your emotional stability before the abortion. Choosing to have an abortion is an important decision. The decision-making process may be stressful, even if the outcome is ultimately positive.
Although the most common emotion after completing an abortion is relief, there also can be feelings of loss or sadness. Some people may have difficulty after an abortion because of:
- The obstacles encountered while trying to obtain abortion care
- Feeling alone while making an important decision
- An environment where choosing abortion may be stigmatized
Some feel grief even though they know they made the right decision. There is no right or wrong way to grieve. The feelings are real, and you should give yourself permission to have them. The following resources may be helpful as well:
Exhale is a hotline that offers nonjudgmental, nonpolitical follow up abortion counseling
Peace after Abortion is a book written by Ava Torre-Bueno, a counselor with over 35 years of experience in abortion care. Her book is available for purchase through her website.
Backline is a hotline that offers unconditional and judgement-free support during pregnancy, parenting, adoption, and abortion.
Catholics for Choice is a religious organization promoting the belief that Catholic teachings mean that every individual must follow his or her own conscience.
Faith Aloud is a group that is helping to eliminate the religious stigma of abortion. Faith Aloud counselors are clergy and religious counselors from these backgrounds: Roman Catholic, Jewish, Unitarian-Universalist, Protestant Christian, and Buddhist.
Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice is a group of national organizations from major faiths and traditions working for policies to strengthen reproductive justice.