A surgical abortion is one of the safest surgical procedures in the United States. During a surgical abortion, the cervix is gradually dilated and the contents of the uterus are gently removed using suction and a surgical instrument called a curette. The procedure takes about 5-7 minutes. You can expect to feel mild to moderate cramping and pressure.
We guide and support you through the surgical abortion by explaining the process and answering any questions you have along the way. You will be provided ample recovery time in our office, and you may return to most normal activities the next day.
Counseling & Emotional Care
Before the surgical abortion, you will speak with a counselor specifically trained in reproductive health care support. This is an opportunity to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the abortion. Our counselors are non-judgemental and unbiased, they will listen to your thoughts and concerns, with respect for your feelings and decisions.
For Your Comfort
Our clinic is unique because we are committed to serving our patients’ individual needs. Prior to your procedure, we will explain the relaxation and comfort methods that we have available. We offer preoperative medications to help ease cramping. Nitrous oxide gas, IV sedation, and valium are also available to help ease anxiety. We also have a guided relaxation CD and soothing lighting.
Plan to spend 3-5 hours with us at the office. For a second trimester procedure, plan to spend 6 hours with us at the office.
Surgical Abortion Follow Up Care
A surgical abortion is a very safe procedure therefore, a routine post-operative exam is rarely necessary. In our experience problems stemming from an abortion usually, manifest within the first 2-5 days. Should you need medical attention, our licensed board-certified OB/GYN doctors are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We recommend that you perform a pregnancy test at home or at our office. We offer free pregnancy testing to all our clients.
First trimester appointments typically require 3-5 hours. Second-trimester appointments typically require 6 hours.
Why Choose Us To Care For You
- Part of the Austin community for over 40 years.
- The first and only physician-owned clinic in Austin dedicated to providing the community with compassionate abortion and medical care.
- The only clinic in Austin that monitors your care until your follow-up appointment.
- Offering comprehensive gynecology care, including reproductive & sexual health services.
- Offers complete emotional support and attention to your unique needs and concerns
Learn More About Austin Women’s Health Center
- Pre-Abortion Care
- Post-Abortion Care
- Medical Abortion (The Abortion Pill)
- Surgical Abortion
- Maternal & Fetal Indications (Did your Dr. recommend our office because your pregnancy is not viable)?
Schedule With Us