1. Take your temperature morning and evening for the first 7 days following the abortion to be sure it remains lower than 100.4. Call us if you have a temperature that is higher than 100.4.*
2. Avoid strenuous exercise such as jogging, aerobics, and other cardiovascular workouts for 2 weeks following the abortion.
3. Avoid placing anything inside your vagina for 2 weeks following the abortion. Anything placed inside your vagina could increase your risk of infection. Do not use tampons, bathe in a tub, swim, douche, or have sexual intercourse. It is possible to become pregnant again immediately following your procedure.
4. Monitor your bleeding (or spotting) which may occur for up to 6 weeks or you may have no bleeding at all. You may have brownish-yellow discharge or none at all. If your normal period does not return within 6 weeks following the abortion, contact us during normal office hours to be checked. Call if you have heavy bleeding (saturating more than one full size pad per hour for 2 hours or more). Please give us the most accurate amount of your bleeding or clots by counting the number of full size pads you have fully soaked or the size and number of any clots in the last 2 hours.*
5. Be aware that increased cramping may occur 3-6 days after the procedure. We will prescribe pain medication to ease your cramping. You may also take Ibuprofen or Aleve in addition to the prescription pain medication you receive. Please DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN as it will increase your bleeding. Call if you experience very severe cramping persisting more than an hour after taking the pain medication.*
6. Remember to take a home pregnancy test 6 weeks after your abortion OR return to the office in 2 weeks for a free urine test. There is no additional charge for this follow-up pregnancy test if you come back within 30 days.
*Before calling us, please call to verify your pharmacy is open in case the doctor needs to call in a prescription for you.
During business hours, regardless of whether it is an urgent or routine call, please call us at (512) 443-2888 or 1-800-252-7016. If you have an emergency after hours, please call the Medical Exchange at 512-735-3840.